Monday, December 20, 2010

LUKE

OK, God, I get it.  I'm supposed to study Luke.

In June of 2009, Eli and I moved back to Kansas and began attending Grace Community Church in Spring Hill.  Pastor Joel was in the middle of preaching through the Gospel of Luke.  I think back then he was in chapter 4 or so.  Now, we're in chapter 11 or so.

In September of 2009, my favorite podcaster, Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, began a 2-year journey through Luke.

Recently, our little town of Spring Hill experienced a great loss in the life of 17-year old Nathan Stiles.  His life, however, was such a beautiful testimony of Jesus' love that his death is pulling people together in amazing ways.  At his funeral, his parents initiated "The Nathan Project" by giving out over 1000 Bibles to kids and adults alike.  The project's goal is to get people studying the Bible.  Numerous local churches have banded together to start offering small group study times.  Eli and I have incorporated it into our Wednesday night classes, and have been blessed to see our junior high class go from 10-12 to 30+ kids every Wednesday!  It's so exciting to see so many people excited to study God's word!

Anyway, Nathan's favorite book was Luke.  So that's what all (to my knowledge) the small groups all over the area are studying.

Coincidence?  I think not.  I don't think God deals in coincidences.  So, what's it all about?  JESUS!  I, we, people all over the world are all learning more about Jesus right now! Luke was a doctor with a knack for fact-checking.  His gospel is packed with detail and proof that Jesus is the Son of God.  Really, read it.  You'll see.

If nothing else, don't let this Christmas season go by without reading Luke 2.  You may already be quite familiar with it if you're a Peanuts fan...


Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”
-Luke 18:27

No comments: