Sunday, September 16, 2012

Homemade Flour Tortillas!

We got to celebrate Nan's 80th Birthday a couple weeks ago, and we had a total blast.  I come from a very small family, so it's always fun to see my Eli's side all together.  Nan (his maternal grandmother) has 4 children, 15 grandchildren, and 13 great-grandchildren (plus one on the way!) and although not everyone could make it, it was still a HUGE party!























And, those of us who were still around the next morning got to experience a real treat, Aunt Delia's Homemade Flour Tortillas.  Oh yum!  Eli hadn't had these in over 15 years, but he still remembered them fondly, so I was very happy Delia was willing to share her famous recipe with everyone!

This makes 50-55 tortillas!
8 cups flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup shortening
3-4 cups hot water
1/2 cup flour (for flouring counter when rolling out)

Mix first 3 ingredients well.  Add shortening & mix until evenly distributed.  Add water gradually.  Dough should not be stick -- if too wet, add additional flour as you knead.  Knead dough for 3-5 minutes until soft and firm.  Make dough into golf size balls, let sit covered with plastic for 10 minutes.  Roll our, cook on hot skillet.  (I used my electric griddle, and it took about 2 minutes per side).

So, I finally got to try this on my own the other day.  I halved the recipe, my kitchen was covered in flour, and my tortillas ranged in shape  from ovals to Africa to hearts (not at all perfect circles like Delia's!), BUT they were delicious!!!  I am never buying store bought tortillas again!!!




No comments: